(HARTFORD, Conn.) -- Connecticut's state medical examiner says that the body of Adam Lanza, the 20-year-old gunman who killed 26 people at Sandy Hook Elementary School earlier this month, was claimed several days ago.
According to a story in Sunday's Hartford Courant, a person who wanted to remain anonymous claimed the body. The burial site will also not be revealed.
Medical Examiner Wayne H. Carver II says that toxicology tests need to be completed before he rules on the actual cause of Lanza's death, even as Newtown police say the gunman took his own life on Dec. 14 before he could be arrested.
Carver also requested that University of Connecticut scientists study Lanza's DNA to learn of any abnormalities that might provide clues into Lanza's motivation to gun down 20 first-graders and six adults at the school along with his mother, Nancy Lanza, who has since been buried in New Hampshire, where she was from.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio